Ei näytettäviä tuotteita
The number on the scale
Whenever I weigh myself, it's like getting a fortune from Zoltar, the fortuneteller machine. The magic of this number is that it never motivates me in the right direction.
- If the number is higher than "the number" then I get into a panic and wonder why I bother eating vegetables and going to the gym at all. And so I give up and I want to eat big nasty sandwiches and drink syrupy boutique coffees.
- If the number is going in the right direction (lower) than I feel okay to eat whatever I want, because my metabolism must be working great and can relax a bit.
- If the number is exactly where I want it to be... I think, "oh my gosh. What have I been doing that's working?" And I get paralyzed, because I don't want the scale to budge from this number. Eek.
What does the number do for you?
Healthy Lifestyle Tip: Change the goal and change the game
Have you ever thought about another way to stay on a healthy track without going on the scale? Most of my new clients list their first goal as lose weight, about 5 kilos typically. The funny thing about that number is that it rarely motivates them. They don't feel super charged about it or even understand what changes they need to make to get there.
Introducing new K.P.I.s (Key Performance Indicators)
There are other ways to measure our health and wellness.
- Energy levels
- Increased fitness ability
- Good restful sleep
- Less headaches
- Less pain and inflammation
- Less sickness
- Improved blood work... good levels of iron, vitamin D, cholesterol, c-reactive protein, sugars, etc.
New K.P.I.s = Changing the Goal
: If your goal is to eat for energy, perhaps you won't take the croissant with coffee and choose warming oats with apples instead.
: If your goal is to have clarity in thinking, perhaps you'll drink less wine during a weeknight work dinner and choose hydrating water or tea.
: If your goal is to have less inflammation, perhaps you'll learn more about low inflammation foods and try adding them into your diet One Simple Change at a time.
The point is...
If you are feeling really good, have good energy, good sleep and digestion, there's a good chance that you are living a healthy lifestyle, which in turn results in a healthy natural weight without playing the Zoltar fortune game.
Need more proof to throw away the scale?
Our weight can fluctuate 3-5 kilos easily making the scale NOT RELIABLE in terms of determining progress. Here's why:
- Muscle weighs more than fat. You will gain weight by going to the gym your first month, creating a crisis if you're only measuring your progress by weight.
- Monthly hormonal fluctuations can increase weight by 1-2 kilos if you're a woman. Physically the uterine lining increases in size and fluids are also retained during this time.
- Traveling increases water retention as we get dehydrated and circulation slows. It takes 1.5 weeks to get back to normal.
- Constipation can increase weight by 1-2 kilos.
- Inflammation is when the body swells and tries to protect itself from its attacker. If you are inflamed, there is a good chance that you are also carrying around more weight as fluid and swelling.
Remember... change the goal and you will change the game.
Find your true motivation to stay healthy and throw away that darn scale.
Haluatko lisätä kommentin? Kuulisimme sen mielellämme. Huomioithan, että kaikki kommentit tarkistetaan. Kaikki roskapostia muistuttavat kommentit poistetaan. Pyrithän tekemään tästä mielekkään keskustelun kaikille mukanaolijoille.