Cold, creamy and nutty... this is the best treat for a summer afternoon! Who needs the ice-cream man?
Hazelnut and chocolate creaminess reminds me of Nutella, which by the way, I had never heard of until I moved to Switzerland in 2003. Spreading chocolate on bread is absolutely HEAVEN with a cup of strong coffee – and is an absolute calorie bomb all at the same time!
So instead of indulging in the devil’s chocolate/hazelnut calorie bomb, try this Hazelnut Chocolate NICE-cream for a cold, creamier option with added nutrition. Ice Cream for breakfast anyone?
Let’s talk about the chocolate and hazelnut combination!
You’ll find the chocolate and hazelnut flavour combo in cookies, cakes, ice cream and in your favourite spreads.
Honestly, there’s nothing that doesn’t get improved by adding chocolate. Strawberries dipped in melted chocolate, banana sprinkled with cocoa powder, chocolate covered espresso beans, and Mexican Chicken in a chocolate mole sauce. So diverse and so wonderful.
Chocolate has a bitter-sweet flavour that is deeply satiating and is often prepared with sugar, honey or another ingredient that sweetens. And I just love the origin of the word chocolate, xocolātl. Xocolātl comes from Spanish and the Nahuatl language spoken during Aztec time where Europeans first learned about the heavenly food. Now cocoa is grown in many places including Africa where over 60% of the world’s cocoa is produced. *
Often used in baked goods such as pralines, tortes, cakes, syrups that flavour coffees and liquors most people love the smell and taste of hazelnuts. Hazelnuts have a nutty and sweet taste, which can be quite strong and overwhelming if you use too much. They taste excellent raw, baked or grounded into a paste.
There is a little bit of a skin that wraps the hazelnut, which can be strange texture-wise. The texture improves when you remove the skin by rubbing the hazelnuts between two kitchen towels while still warm. Otherwise, use store bought hazelnuts for the quickest and easiest option.
What is N’ice Cream?
Also known as Nice-Cream which means it tastes good and is good for you!
Let’s be honest, we all love the cold and creamy texture of ice cream. It cools us off, literally and sometimes emotionally. It satisfies and can be calming. The challenge with ice cream is the sugar content. Sugar feels calming at first, but as you know is not great for the body. Sugar flashes including hyperactive feelings followed by an energy dip is not fun. Plus having many, many calories is not great for the waistline.
When looking at the chemistry of ice cream (which is mostly whipped air,) ice creams are made with a lot of sugar. This is because when food is ice cold, the taste buds get a bit numb, and it is more difficult to taste the sweet. If you tasted ice cream at room temperature, chances are, it would be too sweet!
Complete by Juice Plus+ Hazelnut Chocolate NICE-Cream
We took our nutritional powders and made that the winner of this creamy cold combination. The frozen banana adds the creamy texture and thickness of ice cream. Mixing in Complete by Juice Plus+ shake powders are an easy way to add in more nutrition to your diet with a yummy chocolate flavour.** The hazelnuts bring the nutty sweet flavour and there you have it. Heaven in a glass!
- Make sure the peel and chop your banana before you freeze it. Otherwise, the skin is very hard to peel off. If you try to blend the banana whole, it may choke your blender. Yikes! Been there, done that.
- Freeze your milk in an ice cube tray for extra thickness.
- Soak the hazelnuts so that they blend well instead of having tiny pieces that feel like sand in your mouth. Eww.
* According to Wikipedia
** Complete by Juice Plus+ shakes for weight management
When you prepare a Complete shake or soup differently than what is listed on pack (e.g. using a different milk or adding fruits/vegetables), it is good to know that the nutrition profile will change. Therefore, the resulting recipe may not provide the benefits of a meal replacement.
Complete by Juice Plus+ shakes, bars and soups are designed to be a meal replacement for weight control.
As a part of a calorie-controlled diet:
- replacing one meal a day with Complete contributes the maintenance of weight after weight loss
- replacing two meals a day with Complete contributes to weight loss.
Make sure to eat a variety of other foods and drink a lot of water as well.
Enjoy Complete by Juice Plus+ as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
- 1 scoop or 1 sachet of Complete by Juice Plus+ Chocolate
- 100 ml 1% skimmed milk (or an unsweetened plant-based milk)
- 2 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- handful of hazelnuts, soaked in the milk
- Prep your bananas. Peel and cut your banana in chunks. Freeze for at least 5 hours.
- Soak your nuts! Add the hazelnuts to the milk and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Blend it! Add the frozen banana chunks, hazelnuts, milk and Complete by Juice Plus+ Chocolate powder into the a mixer. Blend gently (not too long) till it has a nice-cream consistency.
- Decorate with some berries of your choice and eat your NICE-Cream :-)