no items to display
Beetroot Falafel Burger with Avocado Cream Recipe
Makes 4 burgers
For the burger patty:
- 2 medium sized beetroots, grated
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely grated
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 medium free range egg
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp paprika, ground
- 1 small bunch of parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
- Salt, pepper and olive oil
- 4 seeded burger buns
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Lebanese cucumber, sliced lengthways with a peeler
- 2 handfuls baby spinach, washed
Roasted Sesame carrots:
- 750g mixed carrots carrots, quartered lengthways and cut into 5cm long pieces
- 4 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt, pepper and olive oil
For the avocado cream:
- 2 ripe avocados, destoned and crushed with a fork or potato masher
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 handful coriander, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to its highest heat (fan or convection setting). Place the grated beetroot in a roasting tray, combine with 1 tbsp of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the carrots. Add the carrots to a medium-sized roasting tin, sprinkle over the sesame seeds, maple syrup, 1 tbsp of oil, toss and season well with salt and pepper. Turn the oven down to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 and roast on the middle rack of the oven for 30-40 minutes, turning every once in a while. The carrots should be caramelising around the edges.
3. While the carrots are roasting mix the burger patty: add the chickpeas to a large bowl, using a hand held blender or potato masher crush the chickpeas, making sure to leave some larger pieces for texture. Add in the onion, garlic, cooked beetroot, chopped parsley, egg, cumin, paprika, 1 tsp of oil and the breadcrumbs. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 4 even-sized patties, transfer to a plate and chill in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the fillings.
4. To make the avocado cream: mix all the ingredients together, making sure to season generously, then set aside until ready to use.
5. Prepare the salad fillings and set aside.
6. Cook the burgers: heat two 2 tbsp of olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan on medium heat. Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side until crunchy and browned.
7. Finally, assemble the burger: Cut the buns in half, add some spinach, the burger patty, a dollop of avocado cream and pile on the tomato and avocado. Serve the burger with the sesame roasted carrots on the side and any leftover avocado cream as a dip.
Leave a comment
Want to leave a comment? We'd love to hear it. Please note that all comments are moderated. Anything resembling spam will be deleted. Try to make this a meaningful conversation for all involved.