no items to display
Happy National Cherry Month! Cherries are one of my very favorite fruits. In fact, I planted two cherry trees in my front yard a few years ago and anxiously await the harvest of the sweet fruits every May. Not only are cherries exceptionally delicious, but both sweet and sour cherries are good for you too.
One cup of fresh, pitted sour cherries provides:
- 40% of the daily value (DV) for vitamin A (as beta carotene), necessary for healthy vision, immune strength, and the integrity of skin and mucous membranes
- 26% of the DV for vitamin C
- 2 grams of fiber
- 77 calories
One cup of fresh, pitted sweet cherries provides:
- 18% of the DV for vitamin C, which aids immune function and is needed for connective tissue health
- 10% of the DV for potassium, an electrolyte that maintains fluid balance in cells and is critical to a healthy heart
- 3 grams of fiber, which is necessary for normal elimination and helps reduce the risk of heart disease
- 97 calories
Another rarer variety of cherry is the acerola cherry, grown in Texas and Florida. Juice Plus+ uses acerola cherries in Juice Plus+ Orchard Blend because of its phenomenal vitamin C content. A single cherry provides 134% of the DV!
Ready to get mixing with cherries? Here’s a tasty smoothie recipe, using frozen cherries and Complete by Juice Plus+ shake mix!
Chocolate-Covered Cherry Smoothie
Creates 1 serving
- 1 scoop (1/4 cup) Complete by Juice Plus+ Dutch Chocolate shake mix
- 1 cup milk, almond milk, or coconut milk
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 cup frozen cherries
Blend and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite cherry shake recipe? Share in the comments below!